UPDATE: 12th MAY 2015 – We have today been instructed by holiday makers who have had to cut short their holiday following further illness at Coral Sea Waterworld Resort
- Resort ships in doctors to cope with the volume of patients on IV drips
- Poor hygiene standards at Sharm el Sheikh on the Red Sea
- Bug causing diarrhoea and stomach cramps damaging Coral Sea Waterworld
Legal action could soon face the TUI-owned holiday firm First Choice following “at least” 50 cases of alleged food poisoning in Egypt.
The cases were identified at First Choice’s Coral Sea Waterworld, a 4-star resort located at Sharm el Sheikh on the Red Sea.
According to specialist holiday solicitors Simpson Millar LLP, guests at the resort reported 50 cases of food poisoning within 1 day, with another 50 a possibility.
Some of the people who fell sick have claimed that they were so ill they were forced to remain in their rooms on IV drips. It is believed the resort has shipped in more doctors to cope with the volume of patients.
Illnesses could have started earlier
The holiday comparison website TripAdvisor has recorded cases of illness at Coral Sea Waterworld beginning in mid-July.
One witness wrote that following a visit to the complex by hygiene inspectors, staff had been encouraged to wear protective gloves. Several contributors to the site alleged the problems were due to unclean food utensils and containers and generally poor hygiene standards.
Food poisoning due to poor hygiene
A number of the most recent incidents at Coral Sea Waterworld are understood to be related to Shigella: a bacterium associated with poor cleanliness which frequently causes food poisoning.
Complaints include cases of faecal contamination in swimming pools, undercooked buffet food.
Nick Harris of Simpson Millar said he has been “inundated” with enquiries from people whose holidays have been ruined.
“Some of the reports I have heard are horrific,” Nick said. “Complaints include cases of faecal contamination in swimming pools, undercooked buffet food and the use of apparently untreated water to irrigate the hotel lawns and gardens.”
First Choice said it knew of a “small number of cases” of sickness at the Red Sea hotel with virus-like symptoms.
“Our overseas Holiday Advisors have been assisting any customers reporting sickness at the hotel and they have been offering them appropriate support and advice,” the firm said in a statement.
“Reported cases of sickness have reduced and an independent health and safety consultant has been undertaking a thorough investigation.”
In June, Simpson Millar acted for UK holidaymakers felled by sickness when they stayed at Sharm El Sheikh’s Grand Hotel.