Angry holidaymakers who have recently stayed at the Holiday Village in Cala’n Bosch, Menorca have been venting their frustrations on the travel review site Tripadvisor about their recent holidays which have been ruined by severe illness.
One British family spent the second week of their holiday caring for their two young children who had fallen victim to a sickness and diarrhoea bug. On returning home both parents began suffering with the exact same severe illness symptoms that the children had including severe diarrhoea and vomiting.
The illness was so severe that one of the children was admitted to hospital and placed on an I.V. drip for two days.
First Choice Holiday Village
The four star plus all-inclusive resort which is exclusive to First Choice UK customers during the summer offers a main buffet restaurant as well as themed restaurants offering Spanish, Barbeque and Italian a la carte cuisine. There are also 4 large swimming pools and a health and beauty spa for guests to use. The resort also offers a large range of activities to keep the children of all ages entertained.
Waterborne Infection – Possible Cryptosporidium
The nature of the illness symptoms and the spread between family members strongly suggest that the family may have contracted a waterborne infection.
Cryptosporidium is one of the most common waterborne bugs that can be found in contaminated swimming pools. Holidaymakers who become ill abroad may believe it is something that they have eaten at the hotel which has caused their suffering as the symptoms are very similar to food poisoning. However, if faecal accidents have occurred in the swimming pool the illness has potentially been caused by the contaminated swimming pool water.
Some strains of Cryptosporidium are able to contaminate a swimming pool even if the water has been treated with chlorine. Cryptosporidium protozoa are resistant to chlorine treatment. This makes it a very tough parasite to destroy and pool water must be thoroughly filtered following any faecal accident.
Cryptosporidium is a sure-fire indication of the presence of faecal matter in the pool and holidaymakers suffering with diarrhoea symptoms and babies and young children using the pool without waterproof nappies on are usually the main culprits to look at.
How Simpson Millar can help you
Simpson Millar’s dedicated travel law team is standing by to assist any British holidaymakers who have recently fallen ill after their stay at the Holiday Village Menorca.
If you have been the victim of a waterborne illness such as Cryptosporidium or any other gastric illness at the Holiday Village Menorca then get in touch with Simpson Millar’s expert Travel team for help and advice.